On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your 2014?
When 2014 arrived, bright and shiny on New Year’s Day, we never could have imagined what this year would hold. So here’s our annual look back at the 50 things that surprised us, or reassured us, or that we simply didn’t see coming.
1. A few million parents would be driven insane by their children singing, day and night, “Let It Go.” & “Do you wanna’ build a snowman?”
2. The Winter Olympics would arrive in Sochi, Russia, but the city would be far from ready.
3. The most dreaded disease since the plague, Ebola, would reach our shores in a very casual way.
4. Malaysia Air’s MH370 would disappear en route to China, never to be heard from again.
5. Selfie of the year award goes to..
6. The mind-blowing, mouth-dropping ending to How I Met Your Mother.
7. 296 girls and women are abducted and held hostage from a school in Nigeria. #BringBackOurGirls
8. Korean Ferry MV Sewol capsizes and sinks after an unimaginable cargo shift, killing more than 290 people, mostly high school students.
9. You lost sleep and time just because a bird couldn’t fly.
10. The whole world mourns for the death of Gwen Stacy in The Amazing Spiderman 2.
11. Two new terrorist groups — ISIS and Boko Haram — would enter our nightmares.
12. Luis Suarez bites & Germany ftw! #WorldCup2014
13. Followed by the shot-down of Mh17.
14. People would spend the summer dumping ice-cold water on their heads in the name of charity.
15. Taking your steering wheel lock and hitting it on an elderly’s car can cause the whole world to go havoc and hate on you. #cdm25
16. George Clooney and Adam Levine would do something completely out of character — they got married — dashing our hopes of winning their hearts.
17. Robin Williams’ comedic voice would be silenced forever.
18. We’d be focused on the celebrity rear-ends of Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj.
19. We’d never be able to talk to Joan Rivers again.
20. Iphone6 becomes malleable.
21. Taylor Swift named Women of The Year. Yay TayTay!
22. An average everyday guy would become an internet sensation by bagging groceries at Target. #alexfromtarget
23. Blue ticks on WhatsApp becomes life threatening.
25. Another plane goes missing, this time AirAsia QZ8501, Surabaya-Singapore. Found 2 days later, crashed into the sea. My deepest condolences and regrets to every single member affected by this incident. Deeply saddened to hear this news. Stay Strong. #RIPQZ8501 #RememberingQZ8501
We’ve been through countless ups and downs this year. But stay strong, and let’s have a better year in 2015. Happy New Year everyone!
T-minus; 29 hours to 2015
yours truly, k